21tv

À̸§  
  ÀÚ·á½Ç (ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 2003/03/25
Á¦¸ñ  
 [ÀÚ·á] All Together Separate

ALL TOGETHER SEPERATE

All these words would easily identify the new band All Together Separate, but one of them, without the others, would never do. You see, All Together Separate is all about diversity: culturally and musically, yet with one unified purpose.

Comprised of lead vocalist Dex Alexander, guitarist Andrew Shirley, percussionist Ben Rayls, and bassist Charles Rumahlewang, the multi-racial All Together Separate began playing together four years ago while students at California Baptist University in Riverside, California. The four began their musical journey together while leading worship for a campus Bible study. As word of their talent spread, invitations from area churches led to opportunities with Christian Missionary Alliance, Youth for Christ, and Campus Crusade.

Along the way, the band has ministered at both summer and winter camps nationwide, as well as at "See You at the Pole" rallies. In 1999, ATS became the praise band for the Harvest Crusade Youth Nights and has been recognized as one of the most innovative, up-and-coming bands in Christian music. They have performed with Big Tent Revival, Audio Adrenaline, Third Day, Jennifer Knapp, Rebecca St James, The Supertones, and Crystal Lewis. Last summer, they performed at the Harvest Crusade in Anaheim, CA for an audience of 47,000 people.

Their self-titled debut album from Ardent Records, produced by Skidd Mills (Skillet, Clear, Sister Hazel, Robert Cray), has received wide critical acclaim. The single 'On and On' reached # 2 on the Christian Rock Radio charts and was rated #4 on the listing of top Rock songs for 1999. Their next single, 'Paradigm' went to #1. The video for 'Paradigm' went to #1 in December of 1999 on the Christian Video Charts and has remained in the top 20 for over six months. They received three Dove Award Nominations, including Best Rock Album of the Year.
Not exactly a worship band, ATS certainly isn't put off by the label: "I've never categorized us as a worship band," Dex says, "but as disciples of Christ, we©öve just taken such natural steps and worship is the highest calling I©öve ever felt. We write songs that express what the Lord is doing in our lives; we write about what we©öve learned from the Word."

During their formative years, the band invested a lot of energy toward developing their skills as musicians and their sound as a group. The result, musically speaking, is as varied as the lessons learned - a hybrid of funk, rock, jazz and blues. Influenced by the likes of Miles Davis, Sting, Herbie Hancock and The Dave Matthews Band, among others, All Together Separate is nothing if not eclectic, choosing to allow the message to dictate the musical style. There are surprises at every turn, from the funk-infused Earth, Wind & Fire feel of "No Condemnation," to the smooth, jazzy "Something Electric" to the straight-up pop-rock "On and On." Around one corner, you©öll get an R & B bass groove guaranteed to make you move; around yet another, you©öll find a little Hornsby piano segue.

And running throughout are lyrics that speak of longing for a greater intimacy with God, a burning desire to serve Him well, and above all, the awe-inspiring, life-changing grace that has set this band free. "One of the greatest things I've realized is the joy of living in the fullness of God's grace," Andrew explains. "The only good thing about me is that I©öve been redeemed by God's grace, and these songs talk about that and how that influences our lives. Our response to that grace is found in the song "Paradigm". The best way to respond is to continually give our lives back to Him. We'll continue to make mistakes as individuals, but I'm totally inundated, totally covered by His grace. Hopefully, we'll continue to influence people with the realness of our lives, and I think that comes through in the music as well."

Although ATS takes their music and the platform the music has created seriously, they have cast their dreams with a larger vision. "As believers, the most important thing to us is not Christian music," Dex says, "although we love being a band. The most important thing to us is becoming like Christ, becoming like our example and leader, Jesus. If we can play a small part showing the hope of Christ to our generation, to help them see themselves the way God sees them, that's why we do what we do."

"Our desire is to lead people into a closer relationship with Christ," Andrew says. "Whether that is introducing people to Christ for the first time or strengthening someone who has been a believer for years, we're here to minister to whomever comes our way."

And so what of this band, whose name represents both the unity of the Body of Christ and the distinctive, individual nature of the relationship between the redeemed and the Redeemer? What sets them all together apart in a sea of Christian bands? Their vision and mission, perhaps. Their diversity, yes. Their unique gifts and experiences as a band and as believers, yes. Their simply incredible live performances, definitely yes. These things and
more.
"I'm realizing that there three strong facets to ATS," John Hampton (producer, Gin Blossoms), who mixed a song on the ATS album, says. "Their recording, their live performance and their ministry focus. I love the record we made, but to see them play and minister live is amazing."

New bands will come, and new bands will go. But All Together Separate is just that..

[ALL TOGETHER SEPERATE]
On & On
Face To Face
No Condemnation
Paradigm
Eternal Lifestyle
River
Revolution
Something Electric
Magic Show
So Hard I Try
Camouflage Soul