21tv

À̸§  
  ÀÚ·á½Ç (ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 2003/03/25
Á¦¸ñ  
 [ÀÚ·á] Lincoln Brewster

Lincoln Brewster

Twenty-eight-year-old Lincoln Brewster began his musical journey at an age when most children are concentrating on learning to walk. At only one year of age, Lincoln¡¯s mother, Cheryl noticed his ability to keep rhythm after his grandfather bought him a drum set. By age seven, Lincoln was playing guitar and mandolin.

A musician herself, Cheryl played a key role in her son¡¯s musical development, encouraging the gift that God had given him. Cheryl and Lincoln formed a strong musical bond that helped sustain them through rough times.

Raised in Homer, Alaska, the youngest of three children, Lincoln¡¯s parents divorced when he was just a toddler. Shortly after, a stepfather and stepbrothers were added to the family. They had some moments of joy mixed with years of abuse. Lincoln¡¯s passion for music began to grow, but his stepfather hated the fact that Cheryl played music and as Lincoln explains, ¡°that was a real connection for me and my mom.¡±

After Lincoln had begun to master the guitar, Cheryl took him to a local bar so that he could sit in and learn to play with other musicians. By age 12, Lincoln had formed a band called Lincoln and the Missing Links, which included his mom on bass and vocals. His early musical influences included Kenny Loggins, The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Joni Mitchel, Ricky Lee Jones, Van Halen and Heart.

When he was 15, his mom remarried again. This marriage took the family to California where Lincoln joined his high school band. He played guitar and drums in the jazz band and snare drum in the marching band. He also performed in a winter percussion ensemble, writing one of its pieces for competitions.

As graduation drew near, an opportunity to play in another band with his mom led to connections in Los Angeles. Within a few years, the possibility of a recording contract developed.

At the age of 19, Lincoln had what he had always wanted ? a recording contract in hand. Yet, his life felt empty.

Laura, Lincoln¡¯s high school sweetheart and a Christian, frequently invited him to church. ¡°I¡¯d hear a sermon, go outside, cry and say, ¡®That was my life that guy just preached. How did he know?¡¯¡±

After attending a drama ministry performance with Laura, Lincoln recalls feeling God drawing him close. ¡°I was afraid to lay down a lot of things in my life,¡± Lincoln said. ¡°One night, I laid all my cards on the table. I asked the Lord to come into my life, all by myself. It was the best night of sleep I¡¯d ever had. I was very peaceful. I think that was what enabled me to blow off that record deal.¡±

Lincoln didn¡¯t know it, but God had something different in mind for him. One afternoon, he received a phone call from Steve Perry, former lead singer for Journey. Perry invited Lincoln to audition as lead guitarist for his next solo project, For The Love Of Strange Medicine. Lincoln accepted and began songwriting and rehearsals for the album.

Following the completion of the project, Lincoln married Laura. He also joined Perry for a nationwide tour that spanned from 1994 to early 1995. During this time, Lincoln noticed a large number of hurting people in the audiences. ¡°I just knew that when you get that many people together in one place, you¡¯re going to find people with hurts and needs,¡± said Lincoln.

He said the shows were great and entertaining, but not life-changing. After experiencing Christ in his own life, he knew there was more to offer.

When the tour ended, Lincoln and Laura made their home in Modesto, California, where they attended Calvary Temple Church. There Lincoln found a spiritual father in Senior Pastor Glenn Berteau, and at that point Lincoln¡¯s life reached a crossroads. A musician at heart, Pastor Berteau took a chance on Lincoln and offered him a position at the church as associate music director and youth worship leader. At the same time, secular music job offers came. With prayer and consideration, Lincoln laid down his secular career to serve at the church where he would work on sound systems and recording projects.

Lincoln recalls God instructing him to put aside his songwriting and music at that time. He says that he didn¡¯t understand that God was using that period to teach and disciple him. ¡°I really had questions about what God was doing with me during that time,¡± said Lincoln. ¡°He just kept telling me, 'My Word is sufficient.¡¯¡± Not long after, Lincoln said God released him, ¡°and the songs just poured out.¡±

A desire to sing was starting to grow within him. ¡°Finally, I said, ¡®God, if You could just give me the courage to sing, I¡¯ll honor You with it.¡¯¡±

And that he did. Shortly after, Lincoln began leading worship in the youth group. "When I first started, it was just horrible. Leading praise and worship is a whole different ballgame. But, by the time we left, I was really comfortable doing it and had a great relationship with the kids."

The couple later met evangelist Danny Chambers and traveled to Oklahoma City to participate with him in a ¡°Youth America¡± event. Chambers later invited them to help with the planting of The Oasis Church in Nashville, Tennessee. In June 1997, the Brewsters left California for Nashville where they served as youth pastors and then full-time music ministers at Oasis.

While at Oasis, Lincoln met executives from Integrity Incorporated who were there to work with Chambers on a new Hosanna! Music album. During the recording process, Integrity¡¯s Vice President of Creative, Chris Thomason, quickly noticed Lincoln for his guitar virtuosity. Later, Thomason listened to a demo project that Lincoln had produced.

Impressed at the production work and artistry, he also learned that Lincoln had played every instrument and produced and performed all the vocal parts for the project.

Feeling a shared heart for youth-focused praise and worship, Integrity signed Lincoln to its Vertical Music label. According to Thomason, ¡°Lincoln has a passion for seeing people ? especially young people ? enter God¡¯s presence through worship. Worship has changed Lincoln¡¯s life, motivating him to write songs that help others know God more. He¡¯s a gifted musician, but his heart for God shows far above his musicianship.¡±

Shortly after, Lincoln and veteran producer Paul Mills began work on the album Lincoln Brewster. Like previous Vertical Music projects, Lincoln Brewster speaks to the hearts of people who are hungry for non-traditional, passionate worship.

In addition to working on his own album, Lincoln also began session work with label mate Darrell Evans, contributing vocals and guitar and co-writing one of the songs on Evans¡¯ project, Freedom. He also spent time on the road with Michael W. Smith during Smith¡¯s 1998 ¡°Live The Life¡± tour.

Following his 1999 self-titled debut, Lincoln returns with Live To Worship, a new offering produced by Jeff Quimby and co-produced by Lincoln.

After years of performing music that failed to offer life-changing power, Lincoln now combines his talents and determination to record songs that will minister to a new generation of believers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

all about Lincoln...

Discography
2000 Live to Worship - Sophomore Project, Vertical Music
1999 Lincoln Brewster - Debut album, Vertical Music
1996 Hey God - Independent project; self-produced
For The Love Of Strange Medicine - Played Lead Guitar; collaborated with Steve Perry in songwriting

National Tours
¡©Guitarist
For The Love Of Strange Medicine (Steve Perry) 1994-1995
Live The Life (Michael W. Smith) Fall 1998

Experience
Marital Status: Married to Laura Coolidge Brewster for 6 years
Children: "Not Yet"
Favorite songwriters: Cheryl Brewster (Lincoln's Mom), Chris Rice, Sting and Darrell Evans
Favorite female vocalist: Crystal Lewis
Favorite male vocalist: Sting
Favorite guitars: Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Flametop, Gretsch Chet Atkin's Hollow Body w/ Bigsby
Favorite guitarist: Jeff Beck
Favorite scripture: "Genesis 1:1 ¡© Revelation 22:21"
Favorite worship leader: Pastor Jared Ming
Pets: Loves animals that can't do him "serious bodily harm"
Main goal in life: "To reach 140 lbs!"
Favorite food: California Pizza Kitchen
Favorite color: Surf green
Favorite place to visit: Any good beach

Others think...
"Lincoln has a real heart for worship. His experience in mainstream music has further defined his faith. He isn't in music to glorify himself, but rather to glorify the God he serves. It has been a privilege to share the stage with a man of God like Lincoln."
-- Michael W. Smith

"Lincoln is an absolute sold-out-to-Jesus, passionate, honest, and energetic worshiper. Being around Lincoln Brewster has sharpened me as a minister of worship. He's an all-out worshiping friend of Jesus."
-- Darrell Evans

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lincoln Brewster / Live To Worship

1. You Alone Brewster 4:07
2. Lord, I Lift Your Name On High Founds 3:33
3. Take Me Higher Brewster 5:11
4. The Power Of Your Love Bullock 4:26
5. Psalm 91 Brewster 5:06
6. Superstar (Where You Are) Brewster 4:06
7. Caught In The Moment Brewster 4:09
8. Shout To The Lord Zschech 5:53
9. Secret Place Brewster 4:50
10. I Cry For You Brewster 4:16
11. Amazing Grace Traditional 3:52

---------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES

Date: September 19, 2000
Label: SONY/WORD
Genre: GSPL
Category: Christian

CREDITS

Performers
Lincoln Brewster : Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar (Electric), Loops, Vocals, Vocals (Background)
David Davidson : Violin
Chris Donohue : Bass, Guitar (Acoustic)
Dan Haseltine : Vocals
Pete Kipley : Keyboards
Anthony LaMarchina : Cello
Charlie Lowell : Organ
Jeff Quimby : Drums, Loops, Percussion
Sam Thomas : Vocals (Background)
Kris Wilkinson : Viola
Lori Wilshire : Vocals (Background)
Micah Wilshire : Vocals (Background)

Production Credits
Lincoln Brewster : Programming, Tracking
Pete Kipley : Programming
Don Moen : Executive Producer
John Newton : Text
Jeff Quimby : Producer, Programming, Tracking
Aaron Swihart : Tracking
Chris Thomason : Executive Producer
Shane D. Wilson : Mixing

REVIEWS

January 2, 2001

There are lots of modern worship projects on the market, but few truly modern rock worship albums. Live to Worship, the latest offering from guitar whiz Lincoln Brewster, is one such project. Cutting his musical teeth by touring with such heavyweights as Steve Perry (Journey) and Michael W. Smith, Brewster definitely knows how to craft a good pop-rock song. But it is his obvious heart for worship that instantly captures the ear and sets the feet to dancing.
"Hold me in Your hands/Receive me as I am / And take, take me away / I wanna be in the secret place," Brewster cries out. It's the album's central, recurring theme -- the yearning, longing, searching for time alone with God; for a place to worship; and in worshipping, to be recreated. It is visited in "Psalm 91," restated in "Caught in the Moment," and repeated in "Take Me Higher." It is stated succinctly in Brewster's cover of "The Power of Your Love" -- "Hold me close / Let Your love surround me / Bring me near / Draw me to your side."

Live to Worship is an external worship project, with each song directed vertically. These songs are designed to be sung to God, for purposes of worship and adoration. And while it is much less introspective than his debut, self-titled project, Live to Worship maintains the same intense guitar work for which Brewster is known. You'll hear flashes of Bryan Adams, echoes of U2, an occasional John Lennon influence, and perhaps even a reference or two to his arena-rock roots, but for the most part, Lincoln Brewster charts his own musical course.

This is a good choice for fans of Darrell Evans, Matt Redman, and SonicFlood.

Mike Parker
CDNOW Contributing Writer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lincoln Brewster/Lincoln Brewster
Vertical Music

This is a phenomenal, ground breaking CD, with more than just great artistry,
but deep and intense worship.

1 He's All I Need
2 Everybody Praise The Lord
3 Hey God
4 What Kind Of Man
5 Can't Deny
6 Spin
7 Shine
8 On My Way
9 Broken
10 Walk On

Review: Worship with real edge. One of the most powerful CDs I have heard in a long time is Lincoln Brewsters self titled debut CD with the Integrity Label "Vertical Music" (the same label as Darrell Evans). Kids, don't try this at home! Listening to this CD is likely to drive you to loving Jesus way beyond what you may be currently comfortable with. The music on this CD is rock in its purest form - great groove, awesome licks and raw lyrics. If you think you know what great electric guitar is, then you must have heard Lincoln play guitar before. Lincoln combines his phenomenal musical prowess with gut-wrenching and raw lyric content. For those who love to worship God and don't mind being stretched a little with incredible music and style, you should really check this CD out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live To Worship/Lincoln Brewster
Vertical Music

You Alone
Lord I Lift Your Name On High
Take Me Higher
Power Of Your Love
Psalm 91
Superstar
Caught In The Moment
Shout To The Lord
Secret Place
I Cry For You
Amazing Grace

Review: This guy rocks and from the opening track, "You Alone," you'll be tapping your feet in agreement.

The production on this record is top of the line as his compelling vocals are textured with a pleasing blend of drum loops, synthesized effects, layered harmonies and some very solid guitar playing. While much of Brewster's second album delves into the power-pop-rock frontier carved by the likes of Duncan Sheik or Jon Secada, his exceptional guitar playing will never let you forget that there's a guy on this record that can't stop pouring (and playing) his heart out for Jesus.

On "Take Me Higher" the blend of words and music transcends the feeble limitations of our mortal expressions of worship. As Brewster implores:

Take not your Spirit from me
Lord lead me to your peace
My one desire is to be with you
Come cleanse my life
And make me pure
Won't you lift me up in your arms?
Take me higher and draw me closer
and pull me deeper than I've ever been
the listener is drawn into a purely spiritual yearning to know more of God and His presence.

With some nods to Steve Morse and Jeff Beck along the way, Brewster never looks back to see if we're keeping up with him until he gets to "The Power Of Your Love" where things finally settle into a slow burn.

The sense of joy and awe for God is thick on this record. From the instrumental strains of "Amazing Grace" to the tender "I Cry For You," you are never allowed to forget the love of God, or Brewster's love for God. While "You Are My Superstar" and "Take Me Higher" both have great Top 40 radio potential along the lines of Jars Of Clay or Sixpence, this is an album of worship to God, plain and simple. When you hear "Shout To The Lord" transformed into a rock anthem that loses none of the passion of the original, all doubts to Lincoln's motives will be instantly erased. This guy is a worship leader to be reckoned with.

"Live To Worship" does establish an interesting palette for Lincoln's canvas of songs, ranging from modern rock tinged pop, to hand-crafted worship songs of quiet faith and devotion. The results are decidedly pleasing and fans of great, hook-laden modern pop-rock looking for great songs to worship God need look no further than "Live To Worship".

[ÀÚ·á] Chasing Furies
[ÀÚ·á] Jennifer Knapp

[ccm´º½º] 21tv Âù¾çÇÁ·Î±×...