21tv

À̸§  
  ÀÚ·á½Ç (ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 2003/03/25
Á¦¸ñ  
 [ÀÚ·á] Jennifer Knapp

Jennifer Knapp

Jennifer Knapp has established herself as an artistic beacon and testament to conviction. Candidly wearing her emotions, faith, determination and all else on her sleeve, the 26 year-old's blend of alternative folk-rock spiked with impassioned vocals relays a feeling of learned objectivity; though based upon the most personal of themes.

Fortunately, it's just this ability to stand beyond the glass house and draw from the fallibility of life which has made her so appealing to fans across the country. Her 800,000 albums sold, Grammy and Billboard nominations, chart-topping singles and other accolades aren't a result of ego, but statement. "To be able to share your heart honestly and to encourage others, to be honest is really what it's about for me. Even though we are Christians we need grace." It's just this type of spiritual recognition which tempers Knapp's artistic drive with humility and depth.

Sonically, Jennifer's composing bolsters this overall sharing of reality and understanding with her fans. Blending rock, pop, blues and folk--with a definite edge땒er compositions are grounded with experience and the words of someone who has seen different shades of life. Of her skills, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune says, "...it's bare-boned spirituality that rings of authenticity. Knapp offers a heartfelt, intelligent effort, unmatched in its overall quality..." Billboard echoes these organic sentiments, adding "...this collection of well-written tunes illuminates a gifted songwriter and a vocal style teeming with plaintive passion...Knapp stands poised for mainstream acceptance." Mainstream acceptance indeed has come knocking with Jennifer's addition to multiple 1999 Lilith Fair tour dates. She has also received a key market promotional endorsement from Tommy Hilfiger's Tommy Girl cosmetic line, a Taylor guitar endorsement, won a Billboard video award, and has a hit single, "Undo Me" featured on 25,000 Lilith Fair promotional CD's created to raise awareness for breast cancer prevention. I'm really blown away with this project." She says of the success revolving around the album.

Kansas earned the pensive singer 1999 Dove Awards for 'Rock Song Of The Year' and 'New Artist Of The Year.' (She was nominated as a GMA debut artist for an impressive six awards--including 'Top Female Artist.') The honors are indicative of the impact which she had on the millions of fans who have seen her perform since 1998. and have poised her for success with a broader audience. "I hope I can bridge the gap." If her work ethic and focus has anything to do with it, this goal should be easily realized.

In support of her career and ideals, Jennifer has performed over 200 shows a year for 3 years. "It's a really bizarre living, to live on 8 wheels." Spending 8 months on a tour bus from city to city went hand in hand with the daily rituals of in-store appearances, radio station visits, interviews, soundchecks... But despite the obvious refinements which such a rigor contributed to her personal talents, Knapp never lost sight of her desire to connect with people via selfless ambition as well. She consistently performed at national and international 'give back' events in countries like Estonia or the Dominican Republic and for philanthropies such as Ronald McDonald House, Children's Hospitals, Mercy Ministries and Children and Women's shelters.

So where does this seemingly ironic mixture of crushing realism and towering assurance come from? It's simply Jennifer's take on life, complete with both the lessons and values she holds tight to. Stemming from a rural Kansas childhood marred by divorce, dysfunction, low self-esteem and a life without fulfillment, Knapp entered college on a quest for meaning via the pleas (excessive alcohol, tobacco, sexual relationships) of so many kids from similar backgrounds. "I was making a lot of horrible decisions against myself and punishing myself. I figured that's what my worth was, so I might as well prove it." Somewhere along the way she discovered a peace within religious conviction. Soon after she rekindled an early interest in music, and began performing for friends. From that came larger gigs, newfound confidence and most importantly the development of a style that might be described as reflecting the images of the uplifted from the eyes of the downtrodden. Fortunately, this is what makes Jennifer Knapp so unique as an artist. Her writing reveals the message of hope which she is so fervent about sharing. Yet she does so not from a graduated standpoint of one who is beyond reproach, but simply as someone who understands and can capture a feeling of salvation--even by describing imperfection. "I stumble and I fall. I make good decisions and bad decisions." Ultimately, this incorporation of humanity is one that will allow her most personal of viewpoints to culminate into an open relationship with any audience she encounters.

Lay it Down (lyrics)

01. a little more
02. lay it down
03. usher me down
04. into you
05. all consuming fire
06. you answer me
07. you remain
08. diamond in the rough
09. when nothing satisfies
10. peace

Kansas (lyrics)