21tv

À̸§  
  ÀÚ·á½Ç (ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 2003/03/25
Á¦¸ñ  
 [ÀÚ·á] Rebecca St. James

Transform
Rebecca St. James (Forefront Records)

Transform, the fifth release from Grammy-winning artist Rebecca St. James, takes on a new musical feel with techno rhythms and moving dance tracks. The album is a departure from this Aussie's trademark alternative style, and shows her musical maturity.
In an effort to make this new style her own, St. James mixes string arrangements with techno beats, and combines driving drum rhythms with electronica music. In addition to the new musical style, St. James displays her wide range of vocal abilities, creating the perfect match of voice, lyric and music for each song.

Even though St. James has changed her style of music, she remains focused on spreading the Word of God. In songs like "All Around Me" and "Stand," St. James sings, with conviction, a message about the Lord's constant presence and protection.

In a time where Christians are called to live their beliefs despite persecution or pressure to conform, this CD provides much-needed encouragement. The first radio single, "Don't Worry," is a tune that reminds us that God is in control of everything and He will provide and care for us.

In an industry where taking risks is a must to thrive, Transform is just what the name implies. It is a transformation from old to new, creating a unique sound that is sure to please all who listen.

- Chris Joyce, promotions coordinator

------------------------------------------------------------------

Transform
Rebecca St. James (Forefront Records)
by Russ Breimeier

The new project from Rebecca St. James starts off with a short and gentle orchestral introduction, and is immediately followed by "For the Love of God," which features an electronic rock loop reminiscent of U2's "Discotechque." Such is an example of the interesting mesh of sounds found on Transform, Rebecca's fourth album with Forefront Records. The merging of beautiful pop with electronica is certainly not anything new for Rebecca, as anyone who has heard her previous album Pray knows. But it's never been done to such spectacular effect as on Transform. The album's title refers to the transforming power of God as described in 2 Corinthians 3:18, but it doesn't seem to be a running theme throughout the album. Still, at least Rebecca's lyrics are as passionate and heartfelt as ever.

The London Sessions Orchestra is a fantastic addition to Rebecca's ethereal rock sound on tracks like "For the Love of God" and "Merciful," as well as the strong and anthemic "Stand," which feels like something Rebecca could have sung at the Olympics. There's some wonderful acoustic guitar work layered over a dance beat on "Wait For Me," a love song written as a plea for purity to her future husband. I like the fact that Rebecca takes chances musically, going for different song styles throughout the album. She has a good vocal range, which she's always demonstrated by doing background vocals on her past albums, but this time she displays it more in her lead vocals with the occasional high note and aggressive growl. Of course a lot of credit needs to be given to primary producer Matt Bronleewe (Jars of Clay, Plumb) for helming such a big production and displaying Rebecca's vocal and songwriting skills so well.

If only all of the album were as interesting as the big rock production tracks. With all the attention that girl pop has been receiving in Christian music these days, I don't think anyone expected Rebecca St. James to be the Christian equivalent to Britney Spears. Some of the songs on Transform make too much use of the standard dance pop cliches of today, such as the big keyboard orchestra hits found in Britney's music, and especially the electronically altered vocal effect made popular by Cher's "Believe" a couple years ago. Of course, the difference is that Rebecca's music is self-written (or at least co-written), and has far more intelligence and significance to it. Nevertheless, "Reborn" comes across as a ZOEgirl song, and both "Universe" and "One" sound a little too much like Britney Spears (it doesn't help that those latter two songs are back to back on the album either).

It's hard to pinpoint how Transform compares and contrasts with Rebecca's previous two albums. One thing for certain ? this is easily Rebecca's biggest, most dramatic, and most mature production to date. It's got the heart and passion of the God album matched to the electronic dance rock found more prominently on the Grammy award-winning Pray, and it's all the more impressive that this new album holds its own against those two projects. Regardless of which previous album you like better, Transform won't disappoint those looking for more of Rebecca's unshakable faith expressed through strong modern pop.

Transform 2000.10

1. Intro
2. For The Love Of God 4:37
3. Reborn 3:59
4. Don't Worry 3:37
5. Merciful 5:00
6. One 4:37
7. Universal 5:00
8. Wait For Me 4:40
9. In Me 4:14
10. Lean On 3:38
11. All Around Me 3:41
12. Stand 4:36
13. My Hope 4:29

------------------------------------------------------------
REBECCA ST. JAMES
Transform

Biography (courtesy of Forefront Records)

"There's something for everyone on Transform," says Grammy award-winning recording artist Rebecca St. James of her latest album release. This prolific 23-year-old singer/songwriter, who uses Christianity as the inspiration for her music, has been providing soul-searching lyrics set to a backdrop of catchy, accessible tunes since the age of 16. With Transform, Rebecca has moved one ambitious step further artistically, which will inevitably widen her audience. Yet at the same time, she remains faithful to her spiritual foundation and to her fans.

"I definitely see this album as a big, musical leap for me; you could call it a transformation. It's different than anything I've done before," she says. Working for the first time with producer Matt Bronlewee (Natalie Imbruglia, Jars of Clay, Jennifer Paige), and Dann Huff (Lonestar), Rebecca used a compelling combination of the London Symphony Orchestra, accompanied by rock guitars and drums. "We've also done pop vocals, melodies and there's even some dance oriented tracks. I've never done that before. I'm really excited about this fresh direction I'm taking."

Aptly titled Transform, named for Rebecca's desire for her fans to become more involved in their spiritual journey, Rebecca sees this album as a catalyst for those on the path to finding faith. And sonically, Transform showcases Rebecca's different vocal styles and evidences her eclectic musical taste reminiscent of such musically diverse artists?from Sheryl Crow to Madonna.

"I wanted to grow and move on this album and I feel that's what I've done," she says. "And in my own life, I want to challenge other people to be transformed. There's a verse in II Corinthians 3:18 that really inspired me: 'And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.' Transformation is a lifelong process, it happens every day, but I definitely feel that I am in a season in my life where there is a lot of changing going on."

Rebecca hails from Australia where the family lived until she was age 13. The eldest of seven children, Rebecca caught the bug for performing when her father, a former tour promoter of several Christian acts such as Stryper and Amy Grant, put her on the road with Carman. Then in '91 her parents packed up the kids and moved to the U.S. A tight-knit family, when they fell on hard times, the clan drew closer together, prayed together and took jobs cleaning houses, and whatever they could to make ends meet. The family's perseverance paid off when Rebecca signed to Forefront Records in 1994. Since then, she's released four highly acclaimed and successful records (Rebecca St. James, God, Christmas and Pray).

Nowadays, her family accompanies Rebecca on her (almost always filled to capacity) 200 concert dates a year. Some brothers are onstage singing backup vocals and others are running the light show or being the video technician and photographer. Her mother and eight-year-old sister run the merchandising stands and her father oversees the entire event.

Like many Christians who work in the arts, there are misconceptions about her lifestyle. "I'm not this intense and passionate person all the time. I can be the biggest kid and do the silliest things. I suppose being in a family of so many kids; I've always liked being one of the gang. I love being outdoors and playing tennis. I'm not serious all the time. I actually have a lot of fun, too," she says. "Being the oldest of seven kids, I have always felt a sense of leadership and responsibility, so it doesn't bother me being a big sister to younger members of my generation. I welcome it."

Recalling one of the high points of her career, she says, "It was so unexpected for me to win the Grammy (for her fourth album Pray). I mean, it's not every day you get nominated. It was great sitting there with my family enjoying the night. When they announced my name and album, it was a dream come true," she says. "It was great to get up there in front of Phil Collins and Sting and Santana and be able to say why I do what I do."

With all of this family and industry support behind her, Rebecca has recorded what she hopes will be a breakthrough album. One of the standout tracks on Transform, "Our Time," clearly evokes thoughts of the 2000 presidential elections. In an age of political and religious apathy, Rebecca intends to push the envelope. "I want to encourage my generation to stand up and make a difference, and we can make a difference in many ways. Voting is one of the most powerful tools we have to transform our world, and I would like to see more of my generation taking this honor and responsibility seriously. Even though I am an Australian citizen and cannot vote in America, I still want to fuel the fire of action. If we are ever going to see a transformation in our culture, we must become involved in the world around us."

A modern woman with a strong moral fiber, Rebecca doesn't just give lip service to the causes she supports. "For The Love Of God" was inspired by her mission trip to Romania last year where she hit the streets of downtown, feeding the poor and homeless. And with the song "Vision," she explains, "It's basically saying, if I could just see a glimpse of God and all his glory, my world would be rocked."

She may be a woman with a Bible, but she's not hitting you over the head with it. Rebecca's messages and values aren't preachy. They're down-to-earth advice for all people who don't need to be part of the church-going public to understand, but she definitely challenges people to seek truth and take action.

For example, the first radio single "Don't Worry," simply reminds us of the futility of the endless anxiety we all experience. "I still worry about stuff even if it's not even an issue anymore," she laughs. "Don't Worry" is a reminder to us all to keep the problems in our lives in perspective.

As her live concert following continues to grow (she has fans of all ages at her gigs), Rebecca hopes to continue to influence teens in a positive way. "They're at an age where they're so influenced and affected by what they listen to and what they watch, I want to encourage them to make the right decisions," she says. One subject she takes very seriously is the media's attack on women. "The fashion industry tells us we have to be as skinny as we can, and if we don't measure up, then we're nothing. That kind of thing leads to pain and hurt." Rebecca takes it so seriously in fact that she has hosted several girls-only meetings called "Beauty of the Heart," where the discussion centers around inner-beauty as opposed to an outward ideal.

Rebecca's career is definitely on a roll. In addition to her musical commitments, she is also on the soundtrack of an upcoming movie, "Left Behind," which stars actors Kirk Cameron and his wife Chelsea Noble. Rebecca was also asked to make her first cameo appearance in the film, another career highlight she says. "Well, it was more like being an extra," she says modestly. "But it was really cool. I've always been a real dramatic person and really enjoyed that kind of work."

Through her palatable lyrics of hope and her message of transforming, Rebecca St. James gears up to take her new project, Transform, into new arenas to provide encouragement and reassurance to listeners. Her faithful fans will be delighted and her new audience will be inspired.
------------------------------------------------------------

ME WITHOUT YOU
REBECCA ST. JAMES from Album " GOD "

ÃÖ±Ù ¸î ³â°£ CCMÀÇ °¡Àå Å« º¯È­¶ó¸é À帣 ÀÚü°¡ ´ë´ÜÈ÷ Àþ¾îÁ³´Ù´Â °ÍÀÌ ¾Æ´Ò±î. ÇÑ 5³â Àü¸¸ Çصµ CCMÀº ¿ì¸®ÀÇ 'ÀºÇý¼º°¡'¿¡ °¡±î¿î ÀνºÇÇ·¹À̼ųÎ(Inspirational)°ú ¿¡ÀÌ¹Ì ±×·£Æ®¸¦ ¾Õ¼¼¿î ¾î´úÆ®ÄÁÅÛÆ÷·¯¸®(Adult Contemporary)°¡ ÁÖ·ù·Î ±¸¼ºµÇ¾î ÀÖ¾ú°í À½¾ÇÀ» µè´Â ¿¬·ÉÃþµµ ´ëºÎºÐ Àå³âÃþÀÌÁö ¾Ê¾Ò³ª ½Í´Ù. ±×·¯³ª ¶ô(Rock)ÀÌ ÁÖ·ù¸¦ ÀÌ·ç¸é¼­ ÀþÀº Å©¸®½ºÃµµé °¡¿îµ¥ °æ°ÇÇÑ ´í½Ì(sacred dancing)°ú Çìµå¹ðÀ×(head-banging)ÀÌ ºñ±³Àû ÀÚ¿¬½º·´°Ô Å©¸®½ºÃµ ¹®È­¿¡ Èí¼öµÇ°í ÀÖ´Â ¿äÁîÀ½ - ¹°·Ð ¹Ì±¹ - ¿¡ ºñÇÏÀÚ¸é ¸¹Àº º¯È­°¡ ÀÖ¾ú´Ù°í ÇÏÁö ¾ÊÀ» ¼ö ¾ø°Ú´Ù.

¹®È­°¡ Àþ¾îÁö´Ù º¸´Ï ¹®È­¸¦ ÇÏ´Â »ç¶÷µéµµ Àþ¾îÁö´Â °Ç ¿ÀÈ÷·Á ´ç¿¬ÇÑ °Í. 97³â µµºê ½ÅÀλóÀ» ¹ÞÀº ÀçÅ° º§¶ó½ºÄùÁî(Jaci Velasquez) ÀÌÀü¿¡ ±×¿Í ºñ½ÁÇÑ ´Ü°è·Î ¾î¸° ³ªÀÌ¿¡ CCM¿¡ ÀÔ¹®ÇÑ ¿©°¡¼ö Áß ·¹º£Ä« ¼¼ÀÎÆ® Á¦ÀÓ½º(Rebecca St. James)°¡ ÀÖ´Ù. ºÎ¸ð´ÔÀ» µû¶ó ¹Ì±¹À¸·Î °Ç³Ê¿À±â Àü¿¡ ±×³à´Â ÀÌ¹Ì °íÇâ È£ÁÖ¿¡¼­ 14»ìÀÇ ³ªÀÌ·Î µ¥ºß¾Ù¹ü 'Refresh Your Heart'¸¦ ³ìÀ½ÇÑ 'Àç´É ÀÖ´Â ¾ÆÀÌ'¿´´Ù. 3³â ÈÄ ½ÇÁúÀûÀÎ ¹Ì±¹ CCM°èÀÇ µ¥ºß¸¦ ÀǹÌÇÏ´Â 'Rebecca St. James'¶ó´Â ¼¿ÇÁŸÀÌƲ ¾Ù¹üÀº ±×³à ¼¼´ëÀÇ ±Í¿±°í ¹ß¶öÇÑ ³¢¸¦ ¸¶À½²¯ ÆîÄ£ YC-Pop(Youth Contemporary Pop...?)À» ´ã¾Æ ±× ÇØ µµºê ½ÅÀÎ ¿©°¡¼öºÎ¹®¿¡ ³ë¹Ì³×ÀÌÆ® µÇ¾ú´Ù.

'Here I am'À̳ª 'Side by side'µî Ãʱâ È÷Æ®°îµéÀº ¼ºÀεéÀ» ÇâÇÑ À½¾ÇÀ̱⺸´Ù '¶Ç·¡'µéÀ» À§ÇÑ ±ôÂïÇÑ °îµé·Î ¸¹Àº »ç¶ûÀ» ¹Þ¾Ò´Ù. ¼Ò¼Ó ·¹À̺íÀÌ FOREFRONTÀÎ ÀÌÀ¯¿´À»±î... 95³â¿¡ ³»¾î³õÀº µÎ ¹ø° ¾Ù¹ü 'God'¿¡¼­ ±×³à´Â ±×¶§±îÁö¸¸ Çصµ ÈçÄ¡ ¾Ê¾Ò´ø ¿©¼º ·ÎÄ¿(Rocker)·ÎÀÇ ¿Ïº®ÇÑ º¯½ÅÀ» ÇϰԵȴÙ. ´©±º°¡´Â ÁÖ·ù½ÃÀå¿¡¼­ ÃÖ°íÀÇ Àα⸦ ´©¸®´ø ¾Ù¶ó´Ï½º ¸ð¸®¼ÂÀÇ ¾Æ·ù°¡ ¾Æ´Ï³Ä ÇßÁö¸¸ ¸î Àå µÇÁö ¾Ê´Â ±×³àÀÇ µð½ºÄÚ±×·¡ÇǸ¦ º¼ ¶§, 'º¯È­¸¦ À§ÇÑ º¯È­'¶ó±â º¸´Ù´Â 'ÇÊ¿¬À¸·Î¼­ÀÇ °á±¹'À̾ú°í Áö±Ý±îÁöµµ ±×³àÀÇ À½¾ÇÀº CCM°è¿¡¼­ Ưº°ÇÑ ¿µ¿ªÀ» °¡Áö°í ÀÖÀ½À» ºÎÀÎÇÒ ¼ö ¾ø´Ù. RockÀÇ ±×¸© ¼Ó¿¡ Ä£¼÷ÇÑ PopÀûÀÎ ¿ä¼ÒµéÀ» ¸À±ò ³ª°Ô ¹èÄ¡ÇÏ¿© À帣¿¡ °ü°è¾øÀÌ ¸ðµÎ°¡ ÁÁ¾ÆÇÏ´Â ·¹º£Ä«ÀÇ À½¾Ç¿¡ À־ »©³õÀ» ¼ö ¾ø´Â °ÍÀº ÇÁ·Îµà¼­ Tedd T.ÀÇ Á¸ÀçÀÌ´Ù. ±×¿¡ ´ëÇØ ¸¹ÀÌ ¾Ë·ÁÁø ¹Ù´Â ¾øÁö¸¸ ¸î¸î ¾Ù¹üµé¿¡¼­ ³ªÅ¸³ª´Â ±×ÀÇ ÀÛÇ°µéÀº Çϳª°°ÀÌ ±ò²ûÇÑ ¾óÅͳÊƼºê »ç¿îµå·Î, ·¹º£Ä«ÀÇ º¸Äðú ¸Â¹°·Á ±Ù»çÇÑ ½Ã³ÊÁö¸¦ ÀÏÀ¸Å°°í ÀÖ´Ù.

¾ó¸¶ Àü ¹ß¸ÅµÈ 3Áý 'Pray'¿¡¼­µµ ¿ª½Ã ·¹º£Ä«ÀÇ ÆÄÆ®³Ê·Î ¸ÚÁø À½¾ÇÀ» µé·ÁÁÖ°í ÀÖÁö¸¸... ¾Æ¹«·¡µµ 3Áý ¾Ù¹üÀº ³Ê¹« 2ÁýÀÇ ¿¬Àå¼±»ó¿¡ ÀÖ´Â °Í °°¾Æ ³ª¸¸ ÁÁ¾ÆÇÏ´Â ¾Ù¹ü(?)ÀÌ µÇÁö ¾ÊÀ»±î ¾à°£ ¿°·Á½º·´´Ù. ±×³àÀÇ (Áö±Ý±îÁö) ÃÖ°í È÷Æ®¾Ù¹üÀÎ 2Áý 'God'ÀÇ ³Ñ¹ö¿ø ¼ÛÀÎ 'Me Without You'´Â ¿ì¸®¿¡°Õ ³Ê¹«³ª ³¸ÀÍÀº Çü½ÄÀÇ °¡»çÀÌ´Ù. ´Ù¸¥ °Ô ¾Æ´Ï¶ó '´ç½Å ¾ø´Â ³ª´Â ¾Ó²¿ ¾ø´Â Âð»§ÀÌ¿ä'¶ó´Â ¿¾ »ç¶û°í¹é(?)ÀÇ Çü½Ä ±×´ë·ÎÀ̱⠶§¹®ÀÌ´Ù. Á» ¿ì½À°Ô µé¸®Áö¸¸ »ç½Ç ³ë·¡ ¼ÓÀÇ °¡»ç´Â Çϳª´Ô ¾ø´Â ¿ì¸®ÀÇ ¸ð½ÀÀÌ ¾ó¸¶³ª ºñÂüÇÑÁö¸¦ ¾ÆÁÖ ¸®¾óÇÏ°Ô Ç¥ÇöÇÏ°í ÀÖ´Ù.

¾à°£ÀÇ ³ëÀÌÁî¿Í ÇÔ²² ÀÎÆ®·Î°¡ ½ÃÀÛµÇ°í µå·¯¸ÓÀÇ '¿øÅõ¾²¸®Æ÷'¿Í ÇÔ²² ½ÃÀ۵Ǵ °æÄèÇÑ »ç¿îµå´Â ¾ÆÁÖ ÄðÇÏ´Ù. ±×·¸°Ô ¸á·Îµð¸¦ µû¶ó ³ë·¡´Â ½±°Ô Èê·¯°¡°í ÀÖÁö¸¸ ±×¿¡ ºñÇØ °¡»ç ÇϳªÇϳª°¡ »ó´çÈ÷ ½É¿ÀÇϱ⠶§¹®¿¡ °ö¾Ã¾î À½¹ÌÇغ¼ ÇÊ¿ä°¡ ÀÖ´Ù. Çϳª´Ô ¾ø´Â ¿ì¸®ÀÇ ¸ð½ÀÀº ¸¶Ä¡ 'µå·¯¸Ó°¡ ¾ø´Â ¹êµå', '¹æÇâÅ°°¡ ¾ø´Â ¹è', '¾Æ¹öÁö ¾ø´Â ÀÚ½Ä' µîÀ¸·Î Ç¥ÇöµÇ¸ç, '°á¸» ¾ø´Â À̾߱â(a story without an ending)'³ª '¹ö·ÁÁø À½½Ä(a wasted feast)', 'Ä¡·á¾àÀÌ ¾ø´Â Áúº´(a disease without a remedy)'µîÀÇ Ç¥ÇöÀº Çѹø ´õ »ý°¢ÇØ º¼ ¸¸ÇÑ ²Ï ½É¿ÀÇÑ ±¸ÀýÀÌ´Ù.

°³ÀÎÀûÀ¸·Î CCM °¡»ç¸¦ Áñ±â´Â Âü ¸ÀÀº ÀÌ·± '¼º°æ ÀûÀÎ ÀºÀ¯'¿¡ ÀÖÁö ¾ÊÀº°¡ »ý°¢ÇÑ´Ù. ¸¶Ä¡ ¿¹¼ö´ÔÀÌ ºñÀ¯·Î ¿©·¯ °¡Áö ±³ÈÆÀ» ¸»¾¸ÇϽŠ°Íó·³... ¿Ö RockÀΰ¡... ´ÜÁö ½Ã´ëÀû È帧À¸·Î¼­¸¸ ÀÌÇØÇÑ´Ù¸é Ç㹫ÇÒ ¼ö¹Û¿¡ ¾ø´Ù. À帣ÀûÀ¸·Î´Â ¸ðµç °ÍÀ» ¼ö¿ëÇÏµÇ Æ¯È÷ ±× ¾È¿¡´Â RockÀ¸·Î, Å« ¼Ò¸®·Î, Å« Ãæ°ÝÀ¸·Î °­Á¶ÇØ¾ß ÇÒ ¸Þ½ÃÁö°¡ ÀÖ´Â °ÍÀÌ´Ù. ±× ½Ã²ô·¯¿î ¼ÒÀ½À» 'Âü¶÷µÈ °Í'À¸·Î ¿©±â´ø ½ÃÀýÀÌ ÀÖ¾ú´Ù. '°Å·èÇϽŠÇϳª´ÔÀ» Àú·± ½ÄÀ¸·Î ³ë·¡ÇÏ´Ù´Ï... Çϳª´ÔÀº ºÐ¸í ½È¾îÇÏ½Ç °Å¾ß.' ±×·¯³ª Áö±Ý ºÐ¸íÈ÷ ¾Æ´Â °ÍÀº 'Çϳª´ÔÀ» ÇâÇÑ Á¤Á÷ÇÑ °í¹é'ÀÌ ¹Ù·Î '°Å·è'À̶õ °ÍÀ̸ç, Çϳª´Ô²²¼­´Â ±× Á¤Á÷ÀÇ °í¹éÀ» ¸Å¿ì ±â»µÇϽŴٴ °ÍÀÌ´Ù. '´ç½ÅÀÌ ¾ø´Â ³ª´Â(Me without You)... ÂüÀ¸·Î ºñÂüÇÑ ¸ð½ÀÀÔ´Ï´Ù(A pitiful sight)...'

ÀÎÇǴϽº À¥±âÀÚ ¹Ú±â¹ü

[ÀÚ·á] POD
[ÀÚ·á] Phil Joel

[ccm´º½º] 21tv Âù¾çÇÁ·Î±×...