Dan Mukala : Producer
Zarc Porter : Producer
Chance Scoggins : Choir, Chorus
Tedd T. : Producer
Aimee Joy Weimer : Choir, Chorus
Kara Williamson : Choir, Chorus

REVIEWS

September 29, 2000

Though Left Behind -- the filmed version of the first of Tim LaHaye and Jerry P. Jenkins' successful series of apocalyptic novels -- goes straight to video this month, its makers hope to release it in theaters nationally next year. Eventually, they hope to create a market for the film beyond the churchgoing public. The release strategy raises lots of questions about their ability to accomplish that. The soundtrack, which features lots of top Christian acts, but few who'll generate interest beyond the market, likely won't help, either.
The film's producers have certainly learned their lessons from the mainstream counterparts about how to assemble a soundtrack. Get a big duet (Bryan Duncan and SHINEmk's theme song) and a handful of new tunes from acts trying to establish themselves (Jake, LaRue, Plus One). Make sure you get a good cross section of artists (Fred Hammond to Bob Carlisle) and have a strong representation of power ballads (Joy Williams' "I Believe in You," Kathy Troccoli's "Live for the Lord"). If you're still a bit short, raid the catalogs of some top stars (Michael W. Smith, Rebecca St. James, Avalon, Third Day) and throw in an all-star collaboration ("Midnight Cry"). As might be expected, the songs focus on end-time themes. Hammond and St. James call for Jesus' quick return in their songs. Third Day's "Sky Falls Down" celebrates the final moments as a time to return home.

While there are songs from the perspective of those "left behind" when Christ's Second Coming whisks away the faithful (Plus One's "I Need a Miracle" and Jake's "Believer"), there aren't any that acknowledge Christian responsibility or even express concern for the rest of the world. That's somewhat understandable -- the "Rapture" occurs early in this storyline, not leaving much time for singing anything more than praises. But Christians must remember never to let the promise of their own salvation blind them to sharing that hope and confidence. When that happens, these songs will sound like little more than one big nose-thumbing, "See ya, wouldn't want to be ya" from a group of people who were so heavenly minded they were no earthly good.

[ÀÚ·á] Nichole Nordeman
[ÀÚ·á] V*enna - 4ȸ ¹æ¼Û

[ccm´º½º] 21tv Âù¾çÇÁ·Î±×...