À̸§  
  ÀÚ·á½Ç (ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 2003/03/26
Á¦¸ñ  
 [ÀÚ·á] Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith

Biography

"I've finally written a soundtrack for the movies in my mind¡¦"
"Some of my favorite music that I have written has never been heard."

Michael W. Smith says this, enthused that with the release of "Freedom," his 14th recording, things have changed. His favorite music is at last gaining a hearing.

But what have we already heard from this artist? A couple dozen number one songs, eight gold records, one platinum-music that has earned him Grammy Awards, Dove Awards and scores of high-profile television appearances. "This Is Your Time," "Great Is The Lord," "I'll Lead You Home," "Friends," "Place In This World"?for those who listen to radio, Christian or mainstream, the music of Michael W. Smith is part of our lives.

So what is this favorite music of his that we are finally hearing? "Sometimes when I sit at the piano, my imagination just takes off." Michael W. Smith has created his first all-instrumental release, and is eager to talk about the process that made it a reality. "I visualize these scenes in my mind and write the score to accompany them. What comes out is so cinematic-this expressive, orchestral music."

Michael's ability to create chart-topping pop music is well-documented, and it's a genre of music he obviously loves. But just as actors can become typecast and limited to certain roles, so musicians are sometimes narrowly defined. When the opportunity comes for actors or musicians to express their "other side," it's understandable that they would warm to the creative challenge.

"I'm a big soundtrack guy. That's mainly what's in my CD player-the music from movies like 'Schindler's List,' 'Angela's Ashes,' 'Indiana Jones,' 'The Mission.' I love that stuff. With this new release I've finally written a soundtrack for the movies in my mind. And I'm really excited about it."

Michael pauses, looking for the words that will help him set this music apart from his many other recordings. "I know artists always talk about every new release as the best thing they've ever done. But you know, there was something unique about this album. I'm probably more excited about it than any project I've ever done. I'm sure part of that is the newness of it. This is such a different direction for me."

For years, Michael wanted to record an instrumental album, and for years he dreamed of visiting Ireland. With this new release, he got to do both. Portions of "Freedom" were recorded in Dublin, with the famed Irish Film Orchestra. "Ireland was exciting-definitely. It was great. And there's certainly some Irish flare to this record. It was amazing working with that great orchestra. Those musicians brought such fire and passion to the project. I can't fully describe what it was like seeing these songs come alive, working with such talent."

The all-instrumental album, orchestrated and arranged by David Hamilton, explores a wide range of musical styles, from those huge orchestral tracks to quiet reflective moments; from infectiously joyous Irish music to up-tempo contemporary songs. Songs like "The Call," with its hard-driving European groove, will feel like familiar territory to Michael W. Smith fans. Listeners will also recognize a familiar melodic line on one of the album's standout cuts, "Thy Word."

From time to time a song comes along that leaves a lasting impact on all who hear it-a song that causes you to stop and think about things a bit differently. One of those songs is "Thy Word," with its joyful affirmation of Scripture's rightful place in our lives. But even powerful songs can have their impact diminished through repetition and familiarity. Sometimes all it takes to restore its impact is a fresh perspective, and that's what Michael's instrumental version does through lavish orchestration and a creative new twist.

But much of the music on this release grew out of Smitty's contemplation of some of life's deepest mysteries, and the comfort that came to him as he sat at the piano, expressing his heart to God. Michael W. Smith is convinced that the same calmness that enveloped him as he wrote this music will also bring peace and healing to those who listen.

"I believe there is a call on my life. It's a mystery to me. But part of that call is the healing that comes to people through music, even simply instrumental music. Sometimes I feel I'm playing as David did before Saul. Remember? When David played, King Saul calmed down. There was something mesmerizing about the music, something that brought healing and gentleness to his spirit. It was a God thing. Sometimes we forget that God can still use music like that."

Interestingly, it is scenes from the Civil War that initially inspired this recording, and melody lines from that theme interweave the entire project. "I've been writing instrumental stuff for a long time, but about four years ago a scene came to my mind, an image from the Civil War. Maybe it's just because I live in Franklin, Tennessee. There's a lot of history here, including the Battle of Franklin, one of the bloodiest of the Civil War. Thousands of soldiers and officers died here. I've found bullets with a metal detector in my front yard. That great conflict was on my mind, and one day I started writing this little melody as I visualized a soldier coming home, and the war was over. Maybe he had to walk days to get home, but finally, he was a free man again."

As this scene-this movie of the imagination-played across his mind, Michael W. Smith sat at the piano and wrote the score-the "Freedom" theme, "Freedom Battle" and "Letter to Sarah," the latter inspired by a famous Civil War letter penned by a soldier to his young wife. At times the music is majestic, triumphant, hopeful. At other times, it becomes contemplative, almost haunting. Though inspired by a point in time, "Freedom" takes on a universal tone that spans the years and reflects the hopes, the sorrows, and the joys that confront us all.

The past year or two, Michael W. Smith has faced conflict of his own, as he has battled grief over the events that rocked Columbine High School. Then he experienced a sense of loss and a reminder of life's brevity in the death of his friend and mentor Bob Briner, in the sudden death of golfer Payne Stewart, in the loss of his son's schoolmate Taylor, and quite recently, in the unexpected homegoing of long-time family friend, Carol Ann, in whose memory the record is dedicated. The last two experiences of grief had a direct impact on the recording, expressed in the songs "Prayer for Taylor" and "Carol Ann."

One evening, late in Taylor's illness, Michael sat at Taylor's home with other praying friends. As the grief and questions washed over him, the only prayer he could fully express was the prayer that came through his fingertips as he sat at the family's piano and spontaneously wrote "Prayer for Taylor." Similar circumstances led to the composition of "Carol Ann"-again, the one most articulate expression of his heart came through the keys of a piano.

These experiences illustrate the power of instrumental music and the ageless themes of "Freedom." Because songs such as these brought peace as they were written, Smith is convinced the record can have a similar impact on all who hear it. "These experiences helped shape the album and reminded me, over and over again, I have to be about building the kingdom for God. Nothing else matters."

The mood of the record shifts, listeners are caught up in a celebration of jubilant Irish music-fiddles and flute, orchestra and marching drums. But in the context of the album, it becomes more than a celebration of Ireland, it foreshadows a place of joy where all our pain and questions are finally, fully laid to rest.

"When people listen to this record, I want them to be overcome with hope. Life can be tough, our struggles can weigh us down, but I want this music to be a reminder that God is bigger than all this we see around us. I want this music to soothe the soul and renew our confidence in God's love and care."

Michael W. Smith pauses, reflecting on what he's just said, but reflecting too on the place the music occupies in his own soul. "I don't know, sometimes I'm aware that I'm making a record, but other times I just feel like I'm playing for the Lord, and I'd like to think that the Father is smiling."

[ÀÚ·á] ATOMIC OPERA
[ÀÚ·á] Skillet

[ccm´º½º] 21tv Âù¾çÇÁ·Î±×...