21tv

À̸§  
  ÀÚ·á½Ç (ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 2003/03/25
Á¦¸ñ  
 [ÀÚ·á] Michelle Tumes

Michelle

Encounters with angels, sacred chants, quiet prayers for peace and mercy - these are just a few of the things Australian-native Michelle Tumes draws inspiration from on her new Sparrow Records album, Center Of My Universe. An enchanting artist who grew up surrounded by the beauty and awe of the sea at her coastal home in Adelaide, Australia, Michelle has always had a great appreciation for the wonder of the world around her. And whether she's admiring the beauty of an Orthodox church in reverent silence, or humming a happy tune while helping babysit a friend's child at home, Michelle is totally present and satisfied in the moment, and often finds her best material to share from such moments.

For Michelle, the center of her universe and cornerstone of her life has always been the Lord, so His ever-present inspiration provided an apt title for her second recording. She once again visits some personal and reflective subjects on this new project, and her love for ethereal sounds reminiscent of ancient times is still a dominant force in her music. But Michelle stretches out on this record, demonstrating why she is such a popular new voice on the Christian music landscape and already has four number one hits under her belt. Always eager to share the great peace she has found in the Lord, Michelle challenges listeners to see things through the eyes of God on this new album, letting His light shine through on our everyday lives. Rays of hope virtually pour from every note of the new recording, which she hopes will encourage those who listen.

"I guess the theme of this record is taking what we have in this world and looking at things through the eyes of God, and seeing how wonderful they are. Focus on the good, not the bad;" she explains. "There are bad things that happen in the world, but there is so much hope. I think we need to express that to each other and just live a life full of prayer and worship."

Living a life of musical testimony almost didn't come true for Michelle, who as a teen was unsure of her place in the music world. A classically trained pianist, she gave up the idea of a music career for a time and studied dentistry, until her little sister gave her $40 from a paper route to make a demo of her songs. With that vote of confidence and some interest from publishing companies, Michelle set out to pursue a career in the States. After landing cuts on other artists' albums, Michelle was discovered by Sparrow Records and eventually released her debut album, Listen (Feb. 1998), to critical and commercial acclaim. Listen produced three consecutive number one singles ("Please Come Back," "Healing Waters" and "Heaven Will Be Near Me") and earned Michelle an impressive nod from her peers with a Dove Award nomination in 1999 for New Artist of the Year. Shortly after, Michelle became even more in-demand as a songwriter and has since penned several songs for well-known artists including Sixpence None The Richer, Jaci Velasquez and Point of Grace. Michelle earned her fourth number one single when her Streams cut, "Hold On," hit the top of the charts.

Her new album, Center Of My Universe, picks up where Listen left off. Songs like, "With The Angels," a true account of Michelle's experience with the presence of angels, and "Christe Eleison," a prayer for mercy for the human depravity that often surrounds us, are at one end of the spectrum, while Michelle reveals her feisty, spunkier side on songs like "Do Ya."

"Do Ya is quite different, and I'm sure people will be shocked by it," admits Michelle. "I wanted people to see there is a different side to me, that I don't always float around and write serene music. That song addresses the fact that looks really don't matter - it's what's on the inside. Everyone's unique, and that's a fantastic thing."

Books she read on 19th century Pilgrims and their unshakable faith inspired Michelle to pen, "Immortal" on the new record. "I was inspired by how these Pilgrims lived in prayer and worshipped all the time, and I think when we focus completely on worshipping, that almost all of the physical realm gets
sort of stripped away and we can see through spiritual eyes. I believe we're immortal and we'll live forever, and to be reminded of that on earth makes life much more beautiful."

Always fascinated by the beauty of ancient tones and sacred sounds, Michelle also includes a chant on the new record - an unusual choice for a contemporary artist in today's market. Inspired by a visit to an Orthodox church, the Chant is an immediate link back to more spiritual days, and a way for Michelle to link in to a more quiet, spiritual place. "The music they used in that church was so sacred, and it focuses us on worship, and this chant was written with that in mind. It helps me to be still, and silent, and in that place I become very peaceful."

Solitude for worship and reflection has always been important to Michelle, who spent much of her time growing up on lonely, secluded beaches contemplating her relationship with God and sitting quietly just listening to the music of nature. "I've always been a reserved person - I'm mor concerned with developing what's on the inside," she admits. "And ultimately, that means learning to sit quietly and listen to the voice of God. I would often sit where the waves rolled in upon the sand and pray there. In recreating those images in my songs, I'm hoping to open a door for other people to enter into that same kind of peaceful communion with God.That's really my ultimate goal for my music."

[ÀÚ·á] whisperloud
[ÀÚ·á] Mary Mary

[ccm´º½º] 21tv Âù¾çÇÁ·Î±×...