21tv
[±è¸íÇõ] ´Ù½Ã µè´Â ±è¸íÇõ¸ñ»ç ¼³±³ - »çµµÇàÀü °...
[¹Ú¼ºÀÏ] [04/28] ¼ºÀüÀÇ ±âÃʸ¦ ³õÀ» ¶§ (½º3:10-13...
[À̱¤¿ì] [04/28] õ±¹Àº ħ³ë¸¦ ´çÇϳª´Ï (¸¶11:11~...
[À±¹®±â] [08/19] ¹«³ÊÁø ³ª¶ó (¿­¿Õ±âÇÏ 17Àå 1Àý ~...
[À̵¿¿ø] ¿¡½º´õ¼­ °­ÇØ 6 - ¿¡½º´õ 5Àå
[µ¿Àιè] [12/29] Çϳª´ÔÀÇ ¿µ±¤À» À§ÇÏ¿© (»ç 43Àå ...
[±³°èÀÚ·á½Ç] ¼¼°è»ç ¼Ó¿¡¼­ º» 3.1¿îµ¿ / ±è¿ëÁ÷ ±³¼ö ...
±âµ¶±³°¡ º¸´Â Â÷º°±ÝÁö¹ý - Á¦¼ºÈ£ ±³¼ö ...
°Ç°­ÇÑ °¡Á¤È¸º¹ ¹æ¾È / °í¸íÁø ¸ñ»ç (¼ö¿ø...
[¼Û¿ëÇÊ] ¿¹¼ö´ÔÀÇ Ä¡À¯ »ç¿ª
[À¯°üÁö] (0121) ½ÅÃÌ(ãæõ½)±³È¸(ȲÇصµ ¼ÛÈ­±º)
[±³°èÁöµµÀÚ´ë´ã] »õº®±âµµ ½Å¾ÓÀÇ ¿µ¼ºÀ» ¿°¿øÇϸç - ´ë´ãÀÚ...
[±³È¸¼ø·Ê] [´Ù»ç¶ûħ·Ê±³È¸] ¹ÏÀ½°ú Àγ» (È÷10:36-39...
[´ë³óÁ¦Àϱ³È¸] Çսɱ⵵ÀÇ ´É·Â (Çà12:1-1...
[±¸¿øÀÇ ±â»Ý±³È¸] Çϳª´Ô²² ³ª¾Æ°¡´Â ¹ÏÀ...
-

À̸§  
  21tv (ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 2008/10/02
Á¦¸ñ  
 10/05 ¼³±³

MIND OVER MATTERS: GUILT AND SHAME
Psalm 51:1-3; 40:12; 38:4
Dr. Glenn A. Jent, Pastor

INTRODUCTION
        This is the last in a series of sermons on mind over matters. We have talked about mind over pride, over human limitations, and over anger. Today, we will consider mind over matters such as guilt and shame. These two problems are actually one—like two sides of the same coin. Everybody suffers from these twin matters from time to time. Some never escape them. Guilt/shame are heavy burdens to bear. They are caused by a variety of reasons—especially sin. They lead to a fear of God, instead of a love for and longing for God. Let us examine this problem further.

I.        GUILT/SHAME AS A HEAVY BURDEN TO BEAR
1.        We cannot hide from our sins—¡°always before me¡± (51:3).
2.        We cannot escape from our sins—¡°surround me¡± and ¡°overtake me¡± (40:12).
3.        We cannot bear our guilt/shame alone—¡°overwhelmed¡± & ¡°too heavy to bear(38:4).
4.        We cannot hide our guilt/shame from God—Adam & Eve in the Garden (Gen 3:8).
II.        GUILT/SHAME AS A HEAVY BURDEN WITH VARIOUS CAUSES
1.        These twins are sometimes caused by bad parenting—¡°Bad boy!¡± ¡°Shame on you!¡±
2.        These twins are sometimes caused by overactive imaginations.
3.        These twins are sometimes caused by an oversensitive, poorly trained conscience.
4.        These twins are sometimes caused by faulty theology—not understanding the greatness of God¡¯s mercy and compassion shown to us when we confess.
III.        GUILT/SHAME AS A HEAVY BURDEN WITH SIN AS THE CAUSE
1.        We have a sin nature that leads us into temptation and sin (John 8:9).
        The scribes and Pharisees wanted to stone a woman caught in adultery.
2.        We have a sin nature that leads us to rebel against God¡¯s will and God¡¯s Word (Ex. 9:27).    Pharaoh refused to allow God¡¯s people to go out of Egypt.
3.        We have a sin nature that leads us to not help others in time of need (Gen. 42:21).
                Joseph¡¯s brothers failed to show pity and spare his life.
4.        We have a sin nature that leads us to be dissatisfied with God in general and our life in particular (Num. 21:7). The Israelites grumbled against God (snakes).

CONCLUSION
        What shall we do with this burden of guilt/shame that we carry? How shall we be free of this great burden? The Psalmist gives us the answer in 51:1-2. He begs God to have mercy on him, to blot out his transgression, to wash away his iniquity, and cleanse him from his sin. He does not ask God to do this because he deserves a second chance! No, he asks God to do this because of His unfailing love and great compassion. The Apostle John sounds a similar theme: ¡°If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness¡± (1 John 1:9).
        Thus, today, if you are suffering from guilt/.shame, confess to God and allow Him to cleanse and purify you. Then, when God forgives, you need to accept that forgiveness and forgive yourself. No false humility—¡°I don¡¯t deserve to be forgiven.¡± No false pride—¡°My sin is too great to be forgiven.¡± No false theology—¡°God may forgive, but I need to continue confessing my sin again and again.¡± Accept God¡¯s forgiveness! Then, forgive yourself! You are not greater than God! Stop trying to negate His forgiveness!

[10/12]
[09/21] ¼³±³¿ø°í